Mexican Chopped Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
This fresh Mexican chopped salad is substantial enough to serve as a light main course on its own. Or, you can pair it with Pozole Rojo de Pollo or your favorite soup for a heartier meal. Either way, this delicious, healthy dish is packed with fiber-rich black beans and plenty of fresh herbs and vegetables.
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 8 minutes Serves: 4 *Tip: If fresh corn is not in season, substitute 1 cup prepared frozen sweet corn and skip Steps 2 and 3 below.
Creamy Avocado Dressing Ingredients: 1 large avocado, pitted ½ small shallot, peeled and cut in half 3 T. fresh cilantro, chopped ¼ c. plain Greek yogurt or for a non-dairy Greek yogurt try Kite Hill. Visit their website to find a store near you that carries this brand. 2 T. extra virgin olive oil 2 T. fresh lime juice 2 t. honey Optional: 2-3 T. water, if needed Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
Chopped Salad Ingredients: *2 large ears fresh corn, husks and silk removed 1 T. unsalted butter, melted 1 head Romaine or Leaf lettuce, chopped 2 c. fresh arugula, chopped ¼ c. fresh cilantro, finely chopped 1 medium red bell pepper, diced ½ medium red onion, diced 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained 2 T. fresh lime juice 1 t. ground cumin Sea salt and black pepper, to taste 1 large lime, cut into 8 wedges
1. To prepare the dressing, combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add a little water, if necessary, to reach the desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
2. Brush corn with melted butter and place on a pre-heated gas grill over medium direct heat, or indoors on a grill pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray set over medium-high heat.
3. Cook corn until kernels are slightly charred, rotating one-quarter turn every couple of minutes until each side is done. Remove from heat and slice kernels from cob with a sharp knife. Reserve kernels and discard cobs. Set aside.
4. Add chopped romaine or leaf lettuce, arugula, and fresh cilantro to a large salad bowl and toss gently to combine. Set aside.
5. In a large mixing bowl, combine diced bell pepper, red onion, black beans, roasted corn kernels, lime juice, and ground cumin. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and toss gently to combine.
Add the seasoned black bean mixture to the bowl with the chopped lettuce and toss gently to combine. Serve immediately with Creamy Avocado Dressing or your favorite salad dressing.